Wednesday, March 5, 2014

46 days of torture!

A.K.A Lent.  For those of you Christian folks out there, you might be aware that today is Ash Wednesday.  Which also means it is the start of Lent.  It is a time when you are supposed to give up some sort of luxury, for lack of a better word.  It is meant to be a challenge in remembrance of all that Jesus did for us.  

I will admit I am not as religious as I used to be.  But I still like to participate in Lent every year because I think it is a good practice.  It is good to constantly challenge yourself whether you are religious or not.  

Over the years I have given up things such as soda, biting my nails, swearing, chocolate, sweets, and last year I gave up peanut butter.  Sad to say, I did not succeed last year.  I gave in and ate the damn peanut butter!  So I want this year to be a big challenge for me.  I want to try giving up peanut butter again to prove to myself that I can do it.  But I also want to try giving up sweets again because that has always been a hard challenge for me, but I have done it before so I know I can do it again.  

I'm not sure if Mardis Gras is the best or worst part about Lent.  It's a good excuse to get those last few treats in, but it also sucks waking up the next day realizing I won't get them again for 46 more days!!  

6 comments:

  1. I gave up sodas last year - it's hard! This year I'm giving up the cafe downstairs from my work. I'm really bad about "forgetting" my lunch and getting the crap food down there as an excuse. So in effort to save a little money and eat a little better - I thought it'd be good for me.

    I don't know if I could give up peanut butter though - I love that stuff! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soda was really hard for me! Especially when out at a restaurant it's such instinct to just ask for a soda. So far I haven't given in to the peanut butter, but I definitely want to! Good luck with no cafe, they always have the good stuff! Your wallet will be happy too though I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I couldn't give up would be chocolate. Even if it's just one little square a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I usually do have chocolate everyday! I should have told myself I could only have it once a week or something instead!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I could give up peanut butter :) haha... I guess I could, but I don't want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to convince myself yesterday that I could buy some almond butter because it's not 'peanut' butter. But I thought that would be cheating so I talked myself out of it.

      Delete